The Benefits Of African Cape Reed Thatch
- African cape thatching reed is a totally natural, environmentally friendly product.
- The thatch is obtained from a sustainable resource. Harvesting the thatch actually promotes growth!
- Cape reed thatch will offer years of natural aesthetic beauty. Thatching reed has a typical life span of around 20 years.
- Being a natural product, a cape reed thatch roof will allow any trapped heat or moisture to escape due to its ability to breathe.
- You can create an genuine thatch look at a fraction of the cost involved in installing a traditional thatch roof.
- Thatch tiles do not suffer from shedding, mildew, bird or rot damage. Once installed they require no further maintenance or cleaning.
- Provides 100% UV protection and are 99.9% waterproof.
- Withstands harsh weather including high winds, rain and snow. Suitable for all climates.
- The high insulation value provides the coolest shade in summer and retains the heat in winter. African cape reed thatch is typically 10 degrees cooler than alternative roofing materials in the summer and 10 degrees warmer in the winter.
- Very quick and easy to install.
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors.
- Each of our African cape reed thatch tiles can be treated with a specialist thatching fire retardant chemical.
- Finally - The Sky is the limit with custom designs and applications!
African Cape Reed Thatch Versus Other Thatching Materials:
|African Thatching Reed||Other Thatching Materials|
|The cape thatching reed plants take between 5 to 7 years to reach a mature stage at which they are ready to be harvested. Stems have 5 to 7 years to become mature and stronger.||Other materials are harvested on a yearly basis.|
|Cape thatching reed has a solid core.||Other thatching grasses and materials have a hollow core.|
|Because of the unique properties of cape thatching reed, less material is needed when thatching.||Double the amount of thatching material usually has to be used when thatching with other grasses.|
|Untreated cape thatching reed is more fire resistant than alternative thatching materials.||Burns more easily.|
|A structure, thatched with cape thatching reed, will last for a period of at least 20 years. This is a very conservative estimate, some roofs have lasted for 70 years and longer.||Grass and other thatching materials have to be replaced more frequently.|
|Because of its unique properties, Cape thatching reed can conform to curving and undulating surfaces like no other roofing material.||Because they do not have a solid, flexible core, grasses and other thatching materials are less flexible.|
|Cape thatching reed will not bend when pressed tightly. This gives it better sealing properties.||When tightly pressed grasses tend to bend, reducing their sealing properties.|
|A roof professionally thatched with Cape thatching reed is far less susceptible to wind damage.||High velocity winds can damage traditionally thatched roofs.|
|Aesthetically, cape thatching reed is recognized as being one of the most beautiful roofing materials in the world today.||While other types of thatch may look pleasant, they cannot compare to the warm russet tones of cape thatching reed.|
Oeco offer nationwide installation on all Garden Rooms & Garden Offices which come with an insurance backed 10 year guarantee.