The African Thatch Company uses policies and procedures to ensure the conservation of natural resources while minimising any adverse environmental impact caused by the day to day running of its business.We regularly review our environmental policies and procedures to improve our performance and quality.
The African cape reed thatch is harvested from a replenishable, renewable source, and is imported directly by the African Thatch Company from South Africa's oldest thatch farm. This farm has been harvesting cape reed thatch since the early 1820`s. The farm and its associated processing facilities provides employment, education and healthcare for a large African community.
FSC Certified Timber Products
The African Thatch Company is committed to using FSC certified timber in the manufacture of all its timber gazebos, structures and associated furniture. FSC authorised products are obtained from responsibly managed forests independently certified in accordance with the rules of the Forest Stewardship Council.
Using FSC certified forest products supports environmentally responsible, socially beneficial and economic viable management of the world's forests. This enables consumers to choose forest products with the confidence that they are not contributing to the destruction of the world's forests.
About the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC)
- The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is an international network to promote responsible management of the world's forests.
- FSC brings people together to find solutions to the problems created by bad forestry practices and to reward good forest management.
- FSC is a stakeholder owned system for promoting responsible management of the world's forests.
- Through consultative processes, it sets international standards for responsible forest management.
- It accredits independent third party organizations who can certify forest managers and forest product producers to FSC standards.
- It's trademark provides international recognition to organizations who support the growth of responsible forest management.
- It's product label allows consumers worldwide to recognize products that support the growth of responsible forest management worldwide.
- FSC undertakes marketing programs and information services that contribute to the mission of promoting responsible forestry worldwide.
- Over the past 10 years, over 73 million hectares in more than 72 countries have been certified according to FSC standards while several thousand products are produced using FSC certified wood and carrying the FSC trademark. FSC operates through its network of National Initiatives in more than 34 countries.